A Message From Our President & CEO
“I am steadfast in creating a work environment at Newell where all employees can bring their whole selves to work, achieve their full potential and feel a strong sense of belonging. When employees feel they can be their authentic selves in the workplace, we generate greater diversity of thought and ideas leading to better collaboration, innovation and business results. Acknowledging and conquering unconscious bias and improving representation will enable us to better serve our employees, consumers, customers and shareholders. Now is the time to listen, learn and change!”
Newell Brands Workforce Diversity
We shared updates on our DI&B progress thus far in our 2020 Corporate Citizenship Report . We also launched quantitative DI&B goals that will guide our short-term priorities:
- Earned a score of 100% on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s Corporate Equality Index .
- Partnered with Catalyst , a global nonprofit that works with leading companies to help them accelerate progress for women and other underrepresented groups at work.
- Partnered with SWE (Society of Women Engineers) and NSBE (National Society of Black Engineers) campus chapters to create a diverse recruiting pipeline
CEO Action for Diversity and Inclusion
pledge, which committed us to:
- Cultivating a trusting workplace to include having complex, and sometimes difficult, conversations
- Implementing and/or expanding unconscious bias education
- Sharing best—and unsuccessful—practices
- Creating and sharing strategic inclusion and diversity plans with our Board of Directors
- Atlanta-area Engagement
- Joined alongside other prominent Atlanta-area companies to commit to ATL Action for Racial Equity , a multi-year effort aimed at generating meaningful change and dismantle systemic racism while making our community a better place for all.
Georgia Senate Bill 288
in partnership with the Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce. This law was consistent with Newell’s long-standing history of not precluding job applicants from employment based on conviction information that is not relevant to our hiring process. We believe individuals deserve second chances and we were proud to offer Newell’s support in removing such barriers in Georgia.
Employee Resource Groups
Our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) are an important part of our DI&B efforts. ERGs are global, employee-led groups designed to amplify voices within Newell’s internal and external activities. ERGs provide our employees with unique opportunities for networking, engaging in important dialogue and participating in professional development programming.
ERGs host activities such as education and awareness events, guest speakers, skill building workshops, volunteer events and more, all of which bring together employees from across our locations.
ERGs also help us to meet our full potential as an organization by:
- Creating bridges across sites, business divisions and functions
- Developing targeted coaching and mentoring opportunities
- Identifying and developing new leaders
- Attracting and retaining talent
- Identifying learning and development focus areas
April 2, 2021
March 12, 2021