At Newell Brands, we are proud stewards of many brands that support a more environmentally conscious lifestyle, including
Rubbermaid Commercial Products®,
These products help consumers decrease their use of single-use plastics, reduce food waste, recycle and divert waste correctly and enjoy the outdoors with sustainably sourced products.
Sustainability Goals & Operations
We recognize our responsibility to model ethical and sustainable practices at each step of the product lifecycle, as well as in our workplace, operations and communities. We established company-wide 2025 sustainability goals and shared our progress in our
2020 Corporate Citizenship Report
. We are committed to continuing our work to reduce our environmental impact and design better solutions for the future.
- Saved 8.5 MW of energy through investments in LED lighting in 2020.
- Developed How2Recycle labels, which clearly communicate recycling instructions to consumers, for over 700 products.
- Launched Project Fulcrum in 2020, a company-wide initiative to standardize packaging across our enterprise, with sustainability at its core. Project Fulcrum is run by a cross-functional team that includes leaders from Packaging, Engineering, Procurement, Sustainability and Design.
- Partnered with the Environmental Protection Agency’s SmartWay® Transport program that helps companies measure, benchmark and improve freight transportation efficiency with emissions accounting methodologies and tools. We have already surpassed our goal for 2025 and by the end of 2020, 99% of our products were transported by SmartWay® approved vendors.
- Partnered with TerraCycle®, a recycling company that manages hard-to-recycle materials, to offer recycling solutions for seven of our brands, Yankee Candle®, WoodWick®, Rubbermaid®, Mapa®, Spontex®, Century™ and Calphalon®. Through the partnership, consumers can send in products from these brands for recycling, at no extra cost, when they have reached their end-of-life.
- Partnered with the ArtCenter College of Design in Pasadena, California to reimagine some of our iconic products through “Life Without Plastics” project. It was launched as a 14-week student design clinic overseen by our SVP, Design and Senior Principal, Industrial Design. Using sustainable materials, student teams created innovative versions of Coleman® insulated coolers, Expo® dry erase markers, Holmes® air purifiers, FoodSaver® vacuum sealers, Graco® strollers and Mr. Coffee® coffeemakers.
- Partnered with the Arbor Day Foundation in 2021 to plant 15,000 trees.
- Engaged over 140 Sustainability Champions across 100 locations in 29 countries. Our Sustainability Champions are passionate employees who implement sustainability initiatives and engage fellow employees in creating a more environmentally friendly culture at sites around the world.
- Recognized our sites for their success in leading sustainability initiatives through Newell’s annual Sustainability Awards. Sites are invited to submit sustainability achievements and our top award in 2020 went to the Maryville, TN site which reduced 120,000 pounds of waste per year with enhanced waste management programs.
- Provided training to our internal teams on various topics around sustainability as we strive to educate, engage and empower our people to reduce their own environmental impact and improve the sustainability performance of their sites. Training topics include operational effectiveness, efficient resource use, product innovation sustainability, meeting environmental regulations and more.
Sustainable Design, Innovation & Circularity
We believe sustainability drives innovation. We strive to make our products as, or more, effective while reducing waste and virgin material use. We have centralized our sustainable design efforts to provide a consistent approach across our brands.
Our Design team uses six strategies to evaluate concepts and help inform our approach to sustainable product design.
Sustainability Strategies For Product Design
We are redesigning our packaging to be more sustainable as part of our overall design and innovation strategy. Sustainable packaging reduces our footprint, is cost efficient and provides better packaging solutions for our customers and consumers. We are members of the Sustainable Packaging Coalition® and we are aligned with their mission of sourcing responsibly and optimizing and recovering packaging resources where possible.
REDESIGNING OUR PACKAGING
- The Dymo® brand, redesigned the packaging for its D1, LetraTag and LabelWriter SKUs to be made with at least 60 percent recycled content and sustainably sourced fibers.
- The NUK® brand designed out the use Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) in packaging from 100 percent of its SKUs.
Learn more about sustainable operations, design and packaging
Learn more about the Newell Brands Design Center