A Message From Our CEO
“I am steadfast in creating a work environment at Newell where all employees can bring their whole selves to work, achieve their full potential and feel a strong sense of belonging. When employees feel they can be their authentic selves in the workplace, we generate greater diversity of thought and ideas leading to better collaboration, innovation and business results. Acknowledging and conquering unconscious bias and improving representation will enable us to better serve our employees, consumers, customers and shareholders. Now is the time to listen, learn and change!”
We share our updates on our diversity, including and belonging (DI&B) every year in our annual Corporate Citizenship Report and we recently published our progress thus far in our 2021 Corporate Citizenship Report. More information about our workforce demographics can be found in our EEO-1 workforce data.
In 2020, we established four DI&B goals and we are pleased to share that, in 2021, we successfully achieved three of them:
- Created a Leadership Team of at least 30 percent women.
- Achieved representation of at least 35 percent women among the direct reports of Business Unit CEOs and center-led Functional Heads.
- Established and implemented a Diverse Slates Policy for roles at the Director level and higher which includes gender, race and sexual orientation.
We continue to make progress on our fourth DI&B goal to increase representation of women and people of color at the people manager level in the U.S. to match the relevant talent market in terms of geography and function.
- Earned a score of 100% on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s Corporate Equality Index in 2021 and 2022.
- Named on several prestigious company recognition and employer of choice lists including The Wall Street Journal’s Management Top 250 Best-Managed Companies of 2021, Forbes World’s Top Female Friendly Companies 2021, Forbes Best Employers for Diversity 2021, Newsweek America's Most Responsible Companies 2022 and Fortune’s Most Admired Companies 2022.
- Partnered with SWE (Society of Women Engineers) and NSBE (National Society of Black Engineers) campus chapters to create a diverse recruiting pipeline
Signed the CEO Action for Diversity and Inclusion pledge, which committed us to:
- Cultivating a trusting workplace to include having complex, and sometimes difficult, conversations
- Implementing and/or expanding unconscious bias education
- Sharing best—and unsuccessful—practices
- Creating and sharing strategic inclusion and diversity plans with our Board of Directors
- Joined alongside other prominent Atlanta-area companies to commit to ATL Action for Racial Equity, a multi-year effort aimed at generating meaningful change and dismantle systemic racism while making our community a better place for all.
- Through the Newell Brands Charitable Foundation, DI&B is one of our giving pillars and the Foundation provides financial and in-kind product donations to several nonprofits working to end inequality and promote diversity and inclusion in our communities. These nonprofits include Teaching for Change, The National Black Arts Foundation and Asian Americans Advancing Justice, among others.
Employee Resource Groups
Our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) are an important part of our DI&B efforts. ERGs are global, employee-led groups designed to amplify voices within Newell’s internal and external activities. ERGs provide our employees with unique opportunities for networking, engaging in important dialogue and participating in professional development programming.
We currently have seven ERGs:
Women and allies
employees and allies
Hispanic and Latinx
employees and allies
Veterans and allies
disabilities and allies
ERGs host activities such as education and awareness events, guest speakers, skill building workshops, volunteer events and more, all of which bring together employees from across our locations.
ERGs also help us to meet our full potential as an organization by:
- Creating bridges across sites, business divisions and functions
- Developing targeted coaching and mentoring opportunities
- Identifying and developing new leaders
- Attracting and retaining talent
- Identifying learning and development focus areas
Our people are the driving force of our success, and we take seriously our responsibility to be a great place for people to work, grow and thrive. More information about working at Newell Brands can be found on our Careers page.
- Offer competitive benefits and resources that empower employees to prioritize their health and wellbeing and thrive inside and outside of work. More information can be found in our Benefits section.
- Provide health insurance and dental and vision coverage for our full-time, U.S.-based employees and equivalent benefits to our full-time team members globally and paid parental leave; a 401K plan with a 6 percent company match; access to fitness classes and product discounts; and support with tuition, fertility solutions and dependent care. Information regarding transparency in coverage can be found here.
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program that is available to all employees globally to help them and their families manage life’s challenges such as anxiety and depression, family dynamics, substance abuse, child and elder care needs and legal or financial issues.
- Focus recruiting efforts on a broad cross-section of universities, including Historically Black Colleges and Universities and those with strong connections to organizations such as the Society of Women Engineers and the National Society of Black Engineers.
- Launched three new programs in 2021 to develop our employees’ leadership skills and prepare them for roles of increasing responsibility.
- Enhance employee opportunity for internal mobility with launch of new website where employees can create a profile and explore openings that match their skills and interests.
November 17, 2022Newell Brands Celebrates Veterans Day 2022
September 21, 2022Newell Brands Charitable Foundation partners with 9/11 Day
September 21, 2022Newell Brands Celebrates Week of Happiness
August 24, 2022Newell Supports Atlanta Public Schools’ Back to School Bash